Help with restoring IDE image to SATA drive

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:38:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 13:34 -0500, FS wrote:
> Folks -- My ignorance of all things Linux might be showing with this
> posting, but I can't seem to make this work. I have a Linux FC2
> machine with an IDE drive which I'm trying to make an image of, so in
> case all hell breaks loose we have something we can restore and be up
> and running in no time.
>
> The box I tried to restore has a SATA drive. I've already imaged the
> SATA drive with the image, but it says "kernel panic".

You load the kernel with bios requests, but once it and the initrd
(ramdisk) image are loaded, the kernal has to have the correct
disk driver to continue.  You can fix it after the fact by
booting the install CD in rescue mode and doing the chroot it
suggests. Note the kernel module that gets loaded for this
machine (lsmod will show a list), and add it to /etc/modprobe.conf
(I don't have an SATA box handy but I think they look like scsi's):
alias scsi_hostadapter  xxxxx   (where xxxx is your driver module).

Then run
mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl.img  2.4.22-1.2199.nptl
to rebuild the image with the module you need.

Oh wait - with those kernel numbers, that must be an FC1.  You'll
have to edit modules.conf instead of modprobe.conf and you may
or may not even have an SATA driver available.  And you should
also edit /etc/fstab to see if any partitions (including swap) are
referenced by their /dev/hd? name and if so, change to the
new corresponding /dev/sd? name.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com