udev and console.perms

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jan 4 19:52:05 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> I am trying to set up a headless FC5 system such that I have full use of
> /dev/mixer, /dev/cdrom, etc., when I login via SSH. Mikkel Ellertson &
> others were kind enough to provide some clues in an earlier series of
> emails, which I unfortunately did not save.
>
> I tried changing the 'perm' setting in
> /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms for the <sound> group,
> but it had no effect - is it the case that this setting changes only the
> permissions that are assigned to a user who is concurrently logged in on
> the console? I may have misunderstood.
>
> Any help getting sound up and running on this headless machine as a
> regular user would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Peter

I think what I would do is remove or comment out the
<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root
line from /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms. I would
then copy the device list from the audio devices section of
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules and create my own file as something
like 52-sound.rules with lines like:

KERNEL=="audio*", GROUP="audio"

or what ever group you want to be able to access the audio devices.

By removing the <sound> line from console.perms control, the
permissions set by udev will prevail. By adding another rule file
for udev, instead of editing 50-udev.rules, your changes should
survive a udev update. You may still run into problems with a
console.perms update...

Mikkel