RAID 5

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jan 5 00:57:14 UTC 2007

Terry Hickey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been using Linux on my web servers since 1995. I started with
> Slackware and then graduated to Redhat ending with my last build
> (current server) Redhat 9 plus a *few* changes since it has been
> discontinued.
> Anyways, time for a new server...
>
> I have a Pentium D Dual Core server with 3 250 Gb SATA drives in a Hot
> Swap Serial ATA Cage complete with "Intel Matrix v5.6.1002 ICH7R wRAID5
> and am trying to install Fedora 6 on it.
>
>             When I try to install with RAID5 enabled I get an "exception
> occurred..this is most likely a bug......" However if I change the to
> RAID1 it all goes fine. Does anyone have a clue if I am dreaming getting
> this working with RAID5? Do I need some drivers?
>
> thanks in advance for your time, Terry

I have several system working using software RAID-1/5/6. I configure the
"RAID" controller as JBOD, have a mirrored /boot (100GB) and RAID-5 swap
(pick a size), then RAID-5 for the rest. I have commented elsewhere
about most SATA controllers, my opinion hasn't changed.

--
Bill Davidsen
   He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting