Installation Isuues - Screen Resolution Distorted on Virtual PC 2004 SP1

Paul Lockwood palockwood at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:43:28 UTC 2007

Hello

I finially got my DVD iso through a torrent, only to have this corrupt. So after downloading the CD iso images from a mirror site things started to get installed.

When I first started the install with the GUI installer the screen suddenly went to wide screen and totally unreadable.
After doing some searching I've found that this is due to the S3 card being used by Virtual PC does not support 24 bit colours which Linux automatically uses.

I've left the virtual machine still installing this morning as I left for work using the command line method. So I do not know what state this will be in when I get home.

Does anyone know how to get over this 24 bit color issue, especially from the install GUI side.

Please ntoe I am totally new to Linux but do work in the IT Industry so I may not know all of the technical Linux stuff you may quote.

Paul