Fedora Add/remove software

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 5 13:56:25 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:14 +0530, Pushparaj Shetty wrote:
>> I have installed FC6. After successful installation I wanted to add
>> software like latex, dia etc.
>> But it said: Another program is using this and aborts. same is the
>> problem with yum
to be sure:
ps aux|grep -E 'yum|pup|pirut|rpm'

> That would be the program that automatically checks for updates.  You'd
> need to stop it first (which seems rather stupid to me, you shouldn't
> have to do that, the program should be co-operative with manual
> installation of more software).
>
> I killed it off, permanently, a long time ago.  So this is going from
> memory:  As root, run:  service yum-updatesd stop
System|Admin|Services stop is equivalent gui way. You would also then
have easy access to the start service in runlevel checkboxes :)

> Now, you ought to be able to use yum, manually, or other utilities that
> make use of yum.
I occasionally see this effect to; some times it seems to be soon after
logging in, but before the puplet tray icon shows. I think if I wait a
few minutes, then yum based apps then operate OK. Also, I think there
was a combo problem between rpm and the previous
kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6, that could leave rpmq hung.

DaveT.