Re: A really good article on software usability

Anne Wilson wrote:

Yes, that's the point.  For a lot of things, software should work
like an appliance.  If the thing that needs to be done can be
predicted, just do it without offering any choices.

<scream.......> Where have I seen that idea? Oh yes, in systems that I won't use.

Well, you use lightswitches presumably. It is a good idea, but only if the device is understood to do one simple thing you can explain to someone that never saw it before in a handful of words. If what it does is inherently complex, don't try shoehorn it into lightswitch semantics (ye height-challenged people are you listening).

-Andy