LAPtop Dual Battery Issue

I have a ThinkPad T60 (Core Duo) running FC6 with latest updates. I recently swapped out the DVD drive for a second battery.

Now when the second battery reaches some very low threshold (not sure if it's 0% or 5%), the machine SHUTS DOWN. There's no warning; it doesn't suspend; it doesn't hibernate. At least it doesn't just turn off. Really very annoying.

After I turn it back on, it operates just fine with that second battery at 0%.

How can I fix this or at least learn what's going on?

Thanks,
Chris