DNS Server search order

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 5 17:54:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:41 +0100, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. IF the first DNS replies with the "no such
> > domain" then why doesn't the check query the other remaining two DNS
> > servers, why does the DNS query stop at the first DNS server?
>
> Because it gets an answer from the first server.
>
> You might not like the answer, but that is another
> question

In my prior experience with Unix, the DNS server system was set up so
that there was a "master" server and a number of slave servers.  They
all had the same information.  Thus a negative response from one was
equivalent to the same answer from all.  So, a negative response means
the name is not valid.  No need to search the other DNS's.

Therefore if you have DNS's that don't match, probably a push of the DNS
database is required.  The admin in a Unix system is responsible for
maintaining that database and pushing the change to the slaves.

I don't know if this is the reason you are looking for, but it is the
one that I believe answers the question.

Regards,
Les H