A really good article on software usability

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 18:32:23 UTC 2007

Today William Case did spake thusly:

> Anne, if I may take the liberty of whole heartedly agreeing with you
>
> Les's proposal sounds like a MicroSoft proposal.

In an ideal world, you'd create an application dummy. Get prospective
users to use it in various scenarios (UAT). Watch them. Take that feedback
on board, develop a sensible set of defaults, then develop a way (user
prefs or something) to override all those defaults. Then do another UAT
cycle, clean up any issues discovered, and that's it. Voila, best of
both worlds.

This is how software *should* be developed. Programmers all too frequently
forget that they are servicing the user, not telling them what to do.

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Bathquake, n.:
 	The violent quake that rattles the entire house when the water
 	faucet is turned on to a certain point.
 		-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"