Bare metal restore/backup program

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 23:29:44 UTC 2007

> I'm searching for a backup program that I can use to a restore on a system
> that has had it's drives replaced (I think you youngsters call that a
> "bare metal" restore).  Well, let me say that I want to be able to restore
> even if I have to replace the drives after I've made a backup.
>
> I found Mondo Rescue (http://www.mondorescue.org/) which seems to do what
> I want, but they do not have a version for Fedora Core 6 yet.  Is that the
> best of the free software and/or open source software?
>
> What do you use for backups?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.

I've tried a few other applications/techniques and have found mondo the
best solution for me (small home server).  I've used it for at least two
years now and have only had to restore once.  It was painless.  I hear
that ghost for unix (search for 'g4u' I believe) is also a good solution
but have not tried it myself.  I'm still on core 5 but it looks to me like
mondo is available for core 6(?).

http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/fedora/6/