yum be killing me, this is totally strange... totally

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 07:14:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 13:05 +0000, Rob Andrews wrote:
> On 05-Jan-2007 08:56.54 (GMT), Ric Moore wrote:
>  > [root at iam log]# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{ARCH} \\n" |
>  > grep kmod-nvidia | sort
>  > kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686
>  > kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 <---tried something I got off the web.
>
> If you are going to paste the output of rpm -q into rpm -e, the format is:
>
> rpm -qa --queryformat '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n'
>
>  > [root at iam log]# rpm -e kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 <---tried to erase it
>  > error: package kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 is not installed  <-- no go
>
> You can't specify architecture with -%{arch} at the end of a package, it's
> denoted by a period. And you're missing the release.
>
> You could probably do:
>
> rpm -e kmod-nvidia.i686
>
> Beware that if you have multiple versions installed, it'll remove all of
> them if you don't specify the version and release.
>
>  > I finally got the sucker, but I have no clue how I got two of 'em.
>
> Packages can be upgraded in two ways - one package replaces the old package,
> or the new package sits side-by-side.
>
> If the latter is true, all files in the package must not conflict with the
> previous versions.
>
> Kernels install side-by-side, so you can have a new release as well as an
> old release. kmod-* packages also work this way, otherwise you wouldn't be
> able to install a newer kernel and have working kmod-* packages for both
> versions.
>
> In short, what happened was perfectly valid :)

Right, if one installed for one kernel and the other for the new kernel,
side by side, but these were -identical- packages. Same same. That is
what boggles my mind. I noticed my video rate went to crap, I had to
erase both then install all over in order for my nVidia stuff to run at
all. Weird. Just one of those things I suspect. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net