I might be ready to give up...

I have not used any flavour of linux in more years than I care to even think about.  I decided to give it a go with Fedora Core 6.

I installed on a older Pentium 2 MMX box. The install went smoothly and I was up an running in a short time.

Shortly after install I was notified about 140 some-odd updates that were availible and told the system to install them.

I waited... and waited.. and waited... and nothing happened- at all. No list of updates.. no notice updates were taking place. Nothing.

Well, after literally hours of nothing happening- I told the machine to reboot.  While shutting down- the machine froze. The background image was about 1/2 removed from the screen and it just sat... I thought perhaps it was doing something- so I let that sit for a while- and again, nothing happened. I powered off.

I powered back up- and boot starts normally- the graphic enviornment starts up and starts loading.

Near the end- when I expect the desktop to show- it reverts to the command line.

I looked at