I might be ready to give up...

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 6 22:25:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 11:40 -0500, Hal Levy wrote:
> Sorry- I am trying again     I have not used any flavour of linux in
> more years than I care to even think about.  I decided to give it a go
> with Fedora Core 6.   I installed on a older Pentium 2 MMX box. The
> install went smoothly and I was up an running in a short time.
> Shortly after install I was notified about 140 some-odd updates that
> were availible and told the system to install them.
I am not as optomistic as the other posters. You did not tell us how
much RAM you have nor the speed of your processor but my experience with
a P3 500 MHz processor and 384 Meg of ram has not been stellar.

My experience is that FC6 is uniquely unsuited for older processors with
older cards. I have not been able to trace down exactly why this is true
but in my case , at least, it is true. So your problems in getting your
system up and running does. not surprise me.

My advice is to use an earlier version of Fedora is you want to stick
with this computer.
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. -- Sir Francis Bacon
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net