I might be ready to give up...

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 6 22:37:42 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:

> I agree with Aaron here. I have FC1,2,3. and 5 running on an old Gateway 500.
> P3 Katmai processor, with 256MB RAM. All these distros work ok on this
> machine, but reducing the RAM to 128MB is pushing it a bit.
>
> I know that FC2 is no longer supported, but have had no problems installing
> it. It may be worth giving it a try. All updates are available, including
> those from Fedora Legacy, up until the time that Fedora Legacy has reached
> it's own end of life.

I use FC2 on a Celeron 2.7GHz with 256MB RAM. It's slow when I run
Thunderbird and Mozilla browser at the same time, and thrashes disc
a lot.

> I've always been happy with FC2, and even though it's no longer supported,
> continue to use it every day on one of my 2 machines.

[snip]

I am, also. One thing to watch for: FC2 had a propensity to clobber the
MBR partition descriptions. I had quite a bad time with that, trying to
get it to run with XP, because the PT was inconsistent with the PSPs
on the BRs of the partitions.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.