/tmp running out of space

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 11:20:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 11:03, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > /tmp is filling up rapidly.  I'm guessing that it would be safe enough to
> > delete everything dated previous to the last bootup.  Am I right?
>
> The most logical question is, what is /tmp filling up with?  I can't say
> that in a normally operating system I've seen /tmp filling up "rapidly"
> without a cause and I'm not the one to go willy-nilly deleting things
> without known why they are being created.

Duh! I mis-read the logfile line.  It's not really filling up, though there
are things that I think should be deleted.

I think that most of them are print-related.  There are empty directories with
names like autoKNJXsu, and lots of 19.1K files that contain the line '*% You
may save this file as 'HP-DeskJet_990C-hpijs.ppd'.  There are also some files
that seem to be previews of failed print jobs when I was setting up a remote
printer.

These (print) are the ones I propose deleting.  I'd leave anything that I had
doubts about, although socket files and mapping files exist (often 0 bytes)
with dates in November and December - this is a box that is shut down most
nights.

Anne