xserver access problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 7 17:47:05 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 12:07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I've succeeded in making heyu run as a normal user.  But one of its
>> functions is to intercept an x10 palmpads output and control xmms for
>> when I'm in the basement playing pool with the neighbors.
>>
>> I know its against everyones better judgment here, but x is running as
>> root and will be.
>>
>> So now these xmms control functions are blocked by its not having
>> access to the display when its launched by gene. I just tried adding
>> gene to the screen group, but that made no difference.
>>
>> What would be the correct method to give gene access to a root
>> xserver?
>
>I do not understand why you have to run X as root just for X-10
>control.

That's because I'm a stubborn old fart and run myself as root 99.9% of the
time.

>Opening up the X display when it is being run as root is
>also not a good idea. But if you are determined to do it this way,
>then you have a couple of options. One way is to run "xhost +gene"
>in the X secession to give gene access to the display.

Which it does not, gene seems to be an invalid user.

>Another way
>is to copy the /root/.Xauthority file to the home directory of the
>people that you want to access the X display, and make it readable
>to them. Keep in mind that this file changes every time you start X.
>
>You  should probably read the xhost and xauth man pages. You can
>fine tune the access xhost gives. You can use xauth to control the
>access keys used by the X server.
>
>There used to be at lease one X-10 package that would work with the
>CM11A that used a client/server approach that would let you talk to
>the daemon from other machines on the network and would let
>user-space programs issue/monitor X-10 commands.

That I believe was the much older heyu/xtend combo.  The new heyu doesn't
need xtend now, but the config has changed.

FWIW xhost + allows it to run, but as gene it doesn't seem to have perms
to do anything but quit.  No skin, no playlist etc.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)