XP/FC6 on separate drives : boot how??

TNWestTex no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Sun Jan 7 19:46:06 UTC 2007

Grub should be installed to the MBR of /dev/sda.  I do what you want
to with a separate /boot partition. If you shrank the fat32 partition
down a 100M and added /boot there you would have to fix the reference
in the windows boot.ini to allow for another partition. You should be
able to put one at the beginning of /dev/sdb.  I think it makes things
a lot easier to keep /boot out of LVM.  The following grub.conf does
what you want in my case YMMV. With Captive and Ext2IFS windows and
FC6 can see each others files and move things back and forth as
needed.
Quote:  grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda13
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=3
timeout=25
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
 root (hd1,1)
 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=791
early-login
 initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img
title Other
 rootnoverify (hd0,0)
 chainloader +1
title Quantian kernel 2.6
   root (hd0,1)
   kernel /linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us
apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fro
mhd=/dev/null bootfrom=/dev/sda12/*.iso config=scan home=scan
noprompt
   initrd /minirt26.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=139724&topic_id=32017&forum=10#forumpost139724