I might be ready to give up...

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 8 03:04:43 UTC 2007

Hal Levy wrote:
> On 1/7/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I usually just hit any key to get into the grub menu and then press the
>> a key for the append mode. Pressing a will show the kernel parameters
>> line where you can backspace out rhgb quiet and then press a spacebar
>> and then the letter 1 for single user mode. Runlevel 1 does not have the
>> network started so you need to start the network with 'service network
>> start'
>> I'm not sure if the firewall is started in runlevel 1 so probably
>> putting in a 3 instead of a 1 would be safer. I'll have to check that on
>> my next drop to single user mode.
>> For runlevel 3, your network should be started and also the firewall.
>> You shouldn't have to start anything out of the ordinary.
>>
>> As you said though, running yum from within the GUI is chancy for the
>> first run through and deadly with yum upgrades from one release to the
>> next.
>>
>> You probably already upgraded the system so other methods were probably
>> already used.
>
> Jim- I have not already upgraded- as my last message said, i got
> another strange setting and I am looking to find out what it means
> before moving forward. What you explained here is exactly what I
> needed to make sure I could get into runlevel 3.  I was not removinf
> the "rhgb quiet" and I was just putting the instruction I was told to
> on the end of the line.  This is probably why it wasn't working.
>
> Thanks, Once I am ready to move to the next step (and run yum updates)
> I will do it this way.
>
> Hal

I hope it helps you get the system updated as you desire. There was a
package that crashed X in the middle of updating. I don't recall if it
was the development version or the released version. I run both versions.
Anyway an exiting X while using yum causes all kinds of incomplete
transactions and one messed up rpm database, runlevel 3 or running yum
from a virtual terminal is always safest. Though I run yum through a
gnome-terminal frequently and was bit a few times for my actions.

Good luck straightening out the other problem.

Jim

--
One has to look out for engineers -- they begin with sewing machines
and end up with the atomic bomb.