I might be ready to give up...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 8 07:13:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 21:40 -0500, Hal Levy wrote:
> What you explained here is exactly what I needed to make sure I could
> get into runlevel 3.  I was not removinf the "rhgb quiet" and I was
> just putting the instruction I was told to on the end of the line.

That should still leave you in run level 3.

"rhgb" is the Red Hat Graphical Boot (that fancy looking progress bar on
screen, showing the boot progressing, rather than just the text showing
services starting or failing).  It's a separate thing than X, and you
don't need it.  It should manage to work with all video cards and
monitors, but maybe it doesn't.  If you were having graphical problems,
I'd probably remove the option.

"quiet" just makes the system write less text to the screen, about
what's going on, as it boots up.  Choosing it, or not, wouldn't affect
which run level you booted up into.