Kopete & video

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 16:38:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 16:22, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:54 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I understand that the fedora package for kopete can send and receive
> > webcam pictures, but not a full video_sound connection.  I also
> > understand that the latest packages from source can manage both.
> >
> > Has anyone got video working in kopete?  If so, is it the fedora package
> > or self-compiled?  It's easy enough on the configuration page, but I
> > can't get any sense out of it in use.  I can receive messages that my
> > friend wants to send webcam images, and he can see the same from me, but
> > accepting them seems to make no difference.
> >
> > I would think, too, that it would be necessary to open some firewall
> > ports. Anyone able to comment on this?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> I tried sharing my Logitech Communicate STX webcam under kopete over MSN
> messenger network without much luck.
> Establishing connection was a real pain in the back side (large number
> of retires to get it working) and from time to time my image would
> freeze (both in the preview window and on the other end).

Did you have to do anything other than click on the send icon to get the video
transmitted?  And received?

I can see it in the setup page, but haven't managed anything at all in use.

> For now, I'm using the amsn package which seems to work just fine.

That's one I've never tried at all.

> Once I'll have some free time I'll do some testing and report the
> problems upstream.

Thanks.

I've been trying to get both kopete and ekiga working, but it's hard work if
you don't know whether the problems are at the local end, the remote end, or
both.

Anne