How to display CLI output on another machine

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Mon Jan 8 19:00:31 UTC 2007

El Lunes, 8 de Enero de 2007 19:42, Nigel Henry escribió:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 23:44, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > screen screen screen screen screen, did I write screen? ;-)
> >
> > OK. Give me a bit of slack here. You quoted as below.
> >
> > Definetly, run a screen on machine B and work as usual, then ssh from A
> > to B and run screen -RD.
> > It will work from now on!! :-)
> >
> > I've only been working with Linux since 2003, and have lots to learn.
> >
> > What do I need to do to run screen on machine B?
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Hi Manuel. Apologies for the "Give me a bit of slack" remark. It was late,
> and I was tired.
>
> Screen works well on machine B, and after ssh'ing into machine B from
> machine A screen -RD displays B's Konsole on A, but Konsole on B is closed
> for some reason. I havn't used screen before, so perhaps this is normal.
>
> Unfortunately screen would not have worked for my original situation. I had
> already run apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade on machine B, and this
> had run to completion of the upgrades. If I had then run screen, followed
> by apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade, the output on Konsole would
> have been different, as the upgrades had already been done.
>
> Thanks all the same for the "screen" suggestion. it would be nice if there
> was a way to open KDE's Konsole in screen mode, rather than having to open
> Konsole, and type screen everytime you use it, just in case there might be
> some output you want to have accessable on the other machine.
>
> Thanks Manuel for your suggestion.
>
> Nigel.

Hi Nigel.

Ok, besides that your problem could not be actually solved cause you did
already the apt-get stuff...
I would like you to point me out why screen wouldn't works for you, at least,
in future similar problems.
What's the difference between running apt-get (imagine the same sceneario) in
a Konsole (KDE console) and running the same in a text terminal like the one
you use when you connect via ssh?

All the best!
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.