Re: Running the OS in RAM

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:44:54PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I've seen how Knoppix can be run with the whole OS in RAM. The thing
> is _fast_. I'll soon be getting a laptop with 2GB RAM- quadruple the
> amount of RAM that I've used to run Knoppix in. Can I have Fedora run
> with the whole OS in RAM like Knoppix? I want a hard-drive install,
> but I want to take advantage of all the RAM that machine has.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if the Fedora Live CD has this capability. ("toram" in
Knoppix.) But, I'm not sure this is really the optimal use of memory for a
laptop. Particularly, if you're planning to use suspend-to-disk, it will
significantly increase your suspend and resume times, as the entire image
will have to go to disk and back rather than just the active memory.