FC6 Cups with Samsung - 1610 laser printer

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 17:53:12 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> I am using a Samsung ML-1610 laser printer.
> I am experiencing many problems in printing images either with Eog,
> Gimp or documents including same images as a openoffice writer
> document or a PDF document.
> I can't print my photo (that it is not a real problem as I use an
> external lab)!!!
> When I installed the printer (that was working a little bit better
> with previous versions of Cups) I was compelled to use the GDI driver,
> as if I try to use Postscript driver I get an internal cups server
> error..
> When I try to print an image i see red light flashing but no printing!!!

The ML-1610 isn't a postscript printer anyway -- it needs the gdi
driver, originally from Samsung.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/samsung-gdi/README.txt
says
        The original driver from Samsung has a bug. It does not print
        all files. The driver compresses the page's bitmap in bands. If
        a band happens to have a size bigger than 64 kB after
        compressing the printer cannot print it.

This means that complex documents are unlikely to print.

One "workaround" is to set the document's resolution to 300 dpi. It is
supposed to be possible to patch the driver to fix this, but I've never
got that far (my Samsung went faulty first...)

The patch is in
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/samsung-gdi .

Hope this helps,

James.