FC6 - Firefox - new window failing to popup

Greetings,

I'm using firefox 1.5.0.9 and can not get the popup windows to open. It works fine as root. I tried setenforce 0 which used to work with FC4 - but to no avail. I installed seamonkey from the mozilla site - and everything worked fine.  Next I disabled selinux and still no popups.
Does anyone have  any suggestions?

 Some additional info: When I  have firefox opened, there is a pane at the bottom with a red caret ^ in it - but is otherwise blank and takes up about 10% of the frame. That pane is not there when I run as root.

   Thanks,
    jim