Problem with real player

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 11:25:53 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 03:27, vn wrote:
> Hello,
>  I installed fedora core 6 recently. I have a problem with realplayer.
> When i try playing songs from internet (these  are .ram files), the song
> does not play. The default player is totem player (is totem the default
> player in FC6?) and it gives an error that the file cannot be played. I
> have the following questions.
> 1) How can i change the default player to real player on FC6?
> 2) Can totem play .ram files? If so, i wouldn't mind keeping that as the
> default player.

I can't answer 2) at all, and I can only answer 1) for kde, though I'm sure
something similar will exist for gnome users.  It's a matter of changing file
associations.  In kde it's Control Center (kcontrol) > KDE Components > File
Associations, then put .ram into the box at the top.  You'll see the options.
Move your RealPlayer to the top of the list and it will be default for these
files without changing your default for any other media files.  The biggest
problem is that some Real files have the extension .rpm, so you can't change
that or you are in package trouble.

Anne