Mounting NTFS

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jan 10 12:15:19 UTC 2007

John Bowden wrote:
>> You can also make NTFS to be mounted during boot by adding the
>> following line to the end of the /etc/fstab file:
>>
>>      /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
>>

>> Jim
>>

>> --
>> It occurred to me lately that nothing has occurred to me lately.
>>
> I will leave the line in my rc.local file for now as it seems to be
> working and I can free up some space on the ntfs partition. in a week or
> two I will have a go at my fstab file. This install of FC6 was a look
> and tinker install. I,m almost ready to start using FC6 for most of my
> day to day pc use. There is only two things stopping me from dumping m$
> permanently and they are:
> 1, Playing Command & Conquer Generals Zero hour!
> 2,the voip software only has a windoz version and I have 2 1/2 months of
> credit left on it to go. Its one of the cheapest voip services around
> that I have found so far. Free international land line phone calls. I
> have a 250Gb hard drive in this box. About 80Gb for FC6 the rest for
> windoz. I plan to shrink the ntfs partition down to about 20/30 Gb just
> to run Generals on from time to time.

It sounds like a good plan. I just wanted to point out that the other
posting where one option was to add an entry to /etc/fstab

I never tried adding the entry to the fstab file or put loading
instructions within rc.local since I hardly need to access the files on
XP. It is handy to have ntfs-3g handy though for cases where I do need
to get or put files between the two operating systems. The read-only
ntfs driver was not as valuable since it could not put files on the
Windows OS.

Jim

--
Yes, it is written.  Good shall always destroy evil.
		-- Sirah the Yang, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown