installing FC6 manually

Rushton, Matt Mrushton at empirix.com
Wed Jan 10 15:12:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

  I am trying to install FC6 manually, meaning I'm mounting the CD and
trying to install the necessary rpms by hand.  The reason for doing so
is that I want to create a ppc NFS root file system on a x86 machine.
Ideally I would have my own install script that picks the minimal set of
rpms to install.  My plan was to look through the install cd and install
the minimal set using the -root option to rpm.  Has anyone had
experience doing this?  Can the installer be used for what I want to do?
I tried installing just the base rpms as specified in the comps.xml file
however ran into some dependency issues.  I presume the installer
installs other rpms behind the scences.  I tried using the -nodeps
option and while things installed I got many install failures in the rpm
scripts.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

-Matt

Matt Rushton, Software Engineer
EMPIRIX | Communications Infrastructure Group | 20 Crosby Drive |
Bedford, MA. USA | 01730
email | mrushton at empirix.com <mailto:mrushton at empirix.com>