What Happened?

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Thu Jan 11 01:08:14 UTC 2007

For while this FC6 installation ran fine then. then it decided to boot
to a screen resolution of 800x600 resolution the user name and root both
having selected 1200x1024 as the default resolution If I open the user
account in 800x600 and immediately log off and back on as user the
display is then the default 1200x1024 (also the monitor default display)
When it initially open with the 800x600 resolution there are only 2
choices for the resolution 800 or the classic 640 resolution. Apart from
the hassle of having to log on and off no big deal , but the next one was.
The recently decided to not recognize the user/passwords at log on,
although I could still log on as root.  Checking the passwords going by
the number of asterisks the passwords had all been reduced to 5
characters (but not the first 5 characters of the old password)
Creating new accounts did not work as the system appeared to immediately
truncate the password to 5 characters.
What causes either of these issues, too the best of my knowledge I was
not near nor did I edit any files that I would expect to be part of the
problem.