FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 13:41:46 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> All you need to do is append "lapic" to the kernel line in grub:
>
> 	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
> 	quiet lapic
>
> (all on one line).  That may not solve your issue.  You may need to use
> "noapic" instead:
>
> 	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
> 	quiet noapic
>
> (again, all on one line) to turn off your APIC.  It really rather
> depends on just how compliant your BIOS is with the APM or ACPI
> specifications.  It always stuns me just how badly some of these
> standards are implemented.  Do they even read the specs?  This ain't
> rocket science (and yes, I was a rocket scientist at JPL).  Sheesh!

If the computers are single-core, single-processor systems with no
hyperthreading enabled, then it might also be worth trying to use APM
rather than ACPI. That's done with the acpi=off kernel line parameter.
(Linux uses ACPI unless it's not supported or turned off. If and only if
ACPI is not enabled, then it tries enabling APM, unless *that's* turned
off or not supported -- and APM can't work in SMP mode. You need one or
the other to do a software power off).

If that works, then you've got a problem with the ACPI on your
motherboards. Look for BIOS updates.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Well of course it doesn't work, error #24 indicates
aprilcottage.co.uk | you've attached a wombat to your vacuum cleaner, which