USB disks don't mount in runlevel 3

We normally run in runlevel 3 and when we do use X, we usually use fvwm (rather than gnome or kde).

Against what system part do I file a bug in bugzilla regarding the condition that an inserted USB drive will be auto-mounted in /media when using the gnome window manager, but not in fvwm or when X isn't started. Presumably, by inserting the USB drive I want the device mounted, so why is (I presume hal) just sending an event notification on the dbus rather than completing the task itself?

Steve Friedman