Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:18:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 20:54 +0530, Just Do it wrote:
> For me.... the only preferable option to change OS not my old PC (any
> way I have to do the hardware upgradation...but not now).....
> If Xubuntu could run so smoothly....why not fedora...there should be
> something....I have to figure out....???
> When Window XP work well in my PC...why not FC 6??? I want to change
> from Window XP to Linux....lets hope what happen??

It's not quite the same-same. FC* is still mainly a server OS. not a
client installation even if you install it as such. Especially with
Beagle and SELinux on by default, you have a lot more going on in the
background than Win ever thought of having, just between those two
apps.

My old old install of Caldera on a 486DX/2 with 32 megs of memory
supported 8 modems and 14 terminals through two donated Dickens Terminal
Servers @ 9600 baud. Ran text on everything and it just worked, plenty
fast too. You could probably run RH 6.2 like a dream. It would run and
support Netscape. Win XP isn't exactly optimal on a PIII anyway.

Did you ever figure out if you have onboard video sharing ram??? Or, do
you have a good video card with it's own vram? WinXP will handle the
onboard video far far better than FC, especially when it comes to
"sharing" memory. Linux does not share with others well.

Do you have an Intel PIII or an AMD PIII clone? Could make a LOT of
difference. Installs to my old clunker have been problematic due to some
design flaws in the older AMD P5 CPU's. I had to roll my own kernels to
get some speed out of it, but it was worth it, with a 200% increase in
performance, at least. Slow as molasses to start with.
Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net