Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Thu Jan 11 21:58:30 UTC 2007

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>

>> Thanks James, before I emailed the list I checked cpuinfo, the
>> information is not as clear as I had hoped.
>>

> Erm -- no. It's quite clear.
>
> You've got one of the rather rare Via chips. These work, and don't take
> much energy, but don't perform that well. They also count as "i586" era
> chips as far as Linux is concerned (so don't try installing i686
> kernels. Normally this isn't something you worry about.)
>
> Having said that, for *most* of what one does in Linux, processor
> performance isn't that important.
>

>> processor       : 0
>> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
>> cpu family      : 6
>> model           : 7
>> model name      : VIA Ezra
>> stepping        : 10
>> cpu MHz         : 735.020
>> cache size      : 64 KB
>>

> If you can get Fedora to install (try a text mode, minimal install, and
> yum install just what you need later), and carefully cut down running
> services to what you need, this should be perfectly usable.
>
> You may get on better with XFCE than Gnome or KDE.
>
> What sort of graphics card do you have? Is it taking memory from the
> main system? Can you minimise this through your system BIOS?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

James
When I tried to find out more about the Via chip the slowest chip was an
800 chip according to anything I could find so I did not feel I could
rely on the info that much.
The Graphics card is a Silicone Integrated Systems 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA
Display Adapter.
As I mentioned it is on a test box. I run Gnome on it and have not don
anything with the BIOS etc to enhance its performance as it still works
even when I load it with a number of services, mind you the over load of
services probably accounts for why I reinstall about every 2 weeks or
so. I have loaded other distros on it and find that some like Ubuntu run
marginally better than FC6 but the difference is not significant . The
biggest drawback is the box is slow but, then what else should I expect
given the hardware I could always give Microfat a try I suppose but why?