Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 07:14:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 18:45 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Do you have an Intel PIII or an AMD PIII clone? Could make a LOT of
> > difference. Installs to my old clunker have been problematic due to some
> > design flaws in the older AMD P5 CPU's. I had to roll my own kernels to
> > get some speed out of it, but it was worth it, with a 200% increase in
> > performance, at least. Slow as molasses to start with.
>
> Hey, a K5, K6, and K7 ("Athlon") were all very different chips -- each
> was a totally different design. So generalisations about one chip
> normally don't apply to the others (unless they apply to x86 processors
> in general). And if it's a 1.3 GHz processor, it's an Athlon. Which
> means it's pretty similar to a PIII in performance characteristics, but
> probably a bit faster (and it wouldn't have SSE).
>
> I'm also intrigued as to how you managed to get a 200% increase in
> performance from a K5 (I presume you meant a K5)? Were you enabling
> specific processor work-arounds? Was that on a particular benchmark, or
> did you get it in general? It seems -- implausible.
>
> (And recommendations for a 1.2, 2.0 or 2.2-era kernel don't necessarily
> apply for a 2.6 kernel -- most processor work-arounds have been built-in
> to generic kernels, like the ones Fedora supplies, and are applied or
> not as necessary at run-time.)
>
> James (who started using Linux on a K5).

Thanks for the history lesson.

Ric (who started out using linux on a brand spanking new 486 DX2/66 with
a whooping 16 megs of memory and a 15" multisync display, all for the
low low price of $5000.)

Check out the linux counter number below and then consider I was around
way before the counter came out. What I said stands, nor does anything
you wrote have anything to do with what I was asking him. We need to
know what exactly he's working with and if he has onboard video that
shares memory with the mainboard. That has been a problem at install
time since I worked at RedHat in 2000. But, thanks for all of the above,
I'm sure you got some sort of gratification from it. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net