Re: Create .iso fies from CD

At 8:12 AM +0100 1/12/07, Joachim Backes wrote:
>Srikanth Konjarla wrote:
>> cat /dev/cdrom > cd.iso
>>
>> Tom Spec wrote:
>>> How can I (in Fedora) create iso files from a CD?  (I know usually
>>> people want to go the other way.)
>>>

>This is a little bit dangereous, because cat (dd too!!!) does not permform
>correctly read errors.
>Better would be readcd from the cdrecord suite.

Yes! Readcd uses SCSI commands directly, which avoids the kernel readahead
bug that can make the resulting file longer than the original, causing
checksum failure.

Readcd can also check the "quality" of cds (not dvds, though) with -c2scan:

    []# readcd -c2scan

or

    []# readcd -c2scan sectors=0,`isosize -d 2048 /dev/cdrom`

(The "sectors" part just keeps readcd from reading more than is needed; the
command will work without it.)