where did a package come from?

Rolf Gerrits rm.gerrits at quicknet.nl
Sat Jan 13 10:28:44 UTC 2007

kalinix wrote:

>On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 03:48 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>>rpm -qi
>>>

>>i don't think so.  for instance, i know mercurial is in the FC
>>"extras" repo, but there's nothing in
>>
>>  $ rpm -qi mercurial
>>
>>that tells me that.
>>
>>rday
>>

>You may want to try yum search package
>

>Calin Cosma

>Lockwood's Long Shot: The chances of getting eaten up by a lion on Main
>Street aren't one in a million, but once would be enough.

Note, that al this is not telling you where the package came from, but
only where you can FIND it (too).
I use additional repos like ATrpms and Freshrpms.
ATrpms puts "at" in its package name .... Freshrpms does not do that

example
$ yum --enablerepo=freshrpms list zvbi
Setting up repositories
Installed Packages
zvbi.i386                                0.2.22-5.fc4.at        installed
Available Packages
zvbi.i386                                0.2.15-1.2.fc4         freshrpms

If the package from Freshrpms was installed, I only can see it is installed.
The available upgrade would be from ATrpms .... that is NOT where it
came from !!

If anyone knows a "trick" so I can really see where it CAME from .. that
would be nice ....

Rolf