cifs password length?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 13 17:27:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 06:30 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I'm trying to setup a samba share on my lappy, and have run into a large
> problem, large because my root password is 19 chars long.
>
> An attempt to bring up the share gets this error printed on the cli:
>
> password too long
>
> As I can't seem to grep for it, in what file can the allowable samba|cifs
> password length be set?
----
samba conforms to windows standards for obvious reasons - there is no
place where this can be changed without re-compiling samba. root
password like all other samba passwords is set with smbpasswd command
and has nothing to do with Linux/UNIX passwords.

Not that this admonition is going to do much good but root is generally
not a samba user but is typically mapped if needed in smbusers

Craig