Camera not detected (Manuel Arostegui Ramirez)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Jan 13 19:55:48 UTC 2007

El Sábado, 13 de Enero de 2007 17:18, Clodoaldo escribió:

> Portmap is running here:
>
> # service --status-all | grep portmap
> capi not installed - No such file or directory (2)
> cat: /var/run/dhcdbd.pid: No such file or directory
> Device not specified in /etc/sysconfig/diskdump
> JAVA_EXECUTABLE or HSQLDB_JAR_PATH in '/etc/sysconfig/hsqldb' is set
> to a non-file.
> rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
> Server address not specified in /etc/sysconfig/netdump
> portmap (pid 1624) is running...
>
> # ps ax | grep portmap
> 1624 ? Ss 0:00 portmap
> 4330 pts/2 R+ 0:00 grep portmap
>
> Restarted:
>
> # service portmap restart
> Stopping portmap: [ OK ]
> Starting portmap: [ OK ]
>
> Tried gthumb but it hangs when detecting the camera. BTW in the
> meantime I downloaded the pictures in a Windows machine.
I rebooted the system that I was using and that cleared the portmap
problem.  I had applied quite a few updates without rebooting so one of
the updates was probably causing the weirdness with portmap.  Once the
system was back up I tried running gphoto2 from the console in run level
3 (without X running).  This sort of worked in that the camera was
detected and I got some information about the camera but the last
meaningful output is:

File upload support                 : yes
*** Error (-1: 'Unspecified error') ***

This is followed by instructions for running gphoto2 in debug mode.  No
pictures are uploaded from the camera.  On the other hand, gthumb
continues to work as expected.

I am noticing some seliniux messages logged when I activate the camera
and gthumb starts:

Jan 13 12:46:59 fubar kernel: audit(1168717619.687:5): avc:  denied  {
dac_override } for  pid=2424 comm="pcscd" capability=1
scontext=system_u:system_r:pcscd_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:system_r:pcscd_t:s0 tclass=capability

For a variety of reasons I switched selinux to "permissive" mode.  You
might give that a try although doing so may only allow you to get to the
error message I'm getting with gphoto2.  It may allow gthumb to start
working.  One of my "things to do" is to try to figure out why selinux
is spewing "avc: denied" messages on this and my other FC6 box.  It
started after a policy update a while ago and seems to be getting worse.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce