cifs password length?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 13 21:15:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 12:21 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> Not an answer but - one time I tried mounting my home dir via
> netatalk, and (much to my surprise) the password entry box on the mac
> (OS7 - don't ask!) would only let me input 8 chars for the password!
> Not good, since my passwd is much longer - I had to change it
> temporarily.
----
agreed and this is a Macintosh issue since I have set up LDAP
authentication at various clients and have had to shorten passwords for
Macintosh users
----

> I've never set up a samba share to be accessed by root before - always
> seemed like a Bad Idea.
----
Gene runs GUI as root so running samba as user root merely promulgates
that logic though the NT password hashes are somewhat less crack
resistant.

Craig