vmware guest crash spinlock lockup - bugzilla-able ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 14 03:36:33 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 23:40 +1100, David Timms wrote:
>> Today I have found that pc2-vm1 and pc2-vm2 have crashed.
>>
>> Message left on pc2:vm2 screen summary:
>>   worker_thread
>>   kthread
>>   kthread
>>   kernel_thread
>> =====
>> BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0, modprobe/13636  (Not tainted)
>>   dump_trace
>>   show_trace_log_lvl
>>   show_trace
>>   dump_stack
>>   _raw_spin_lock
>>   cache_alloc_refill
>>   kmem_cache_alloc
>>   get_empty_filp
>>   __path_lookup_open
>>   open_name
>>   do_filp_open
>>   do_sys_open
>>   sys_open
>>   syscall_call
>> DWARF2 unwinder stuck at syscall_call
>> Leftover inexact backtrace:
>> =====
>>
>> Is this an issue that needs to be fixed/reported to bugzilla.redhat ?
>> Or is there another bug report location that would be best.
>
> In general, if you didn't enable the vmware services (and as a result,
> you guest's kernel is not tainted), yes.
> The lock itself seems to be vmware-free.
Gilboa: Do you mean if vmware-tools is installed on the vmware guest,
then it would be tainted ?  I haven't installed any extra bits in the guest.

The vmware-server service on the physical machine definitely has the
vmmon and vmnet compiled as modules {=tainted}, but in terms of the
hang, is it indicative of an issue within the guest vm, or could it be
in the vmware-server software, or host machine that it is running on ?

DaveT.