FC6 OpenLDAP replication trouble

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Tue Jan 16 01:51:08 UTC 2007

I have 2 servers, both running FC6 and OpenLDAP (included RPMS) all
software is yum update as of a couple days ago. I have both servers
setup to authenticate which is working fine.  I have the master LDAP
server setup with a corporate address book.  I can even query it with
Outlook and other email clients.  The problem I'm having is trying to
get changes replicated from the master to the slave.

The following is the /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file on the MASTER:

include        /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

allow bind_v2

pidfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile    /var/run/openldap/slapd.args

database    bdb
suffix        "dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootdn        "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootpw        ubersupersecret

directory    /var/lib/ldap

index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub

replogfile /var/lib/ldap/openldap-master-replog
replica uri=ldap://slave.mydomain.com:389
                binddn="cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
                bindmethod=simple credentials=secret

The following is the /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file on the SLAVE:

include        /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include        /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

allow bind_v2

pidfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile    /var/run/openldap/slapd.args

database    bdb
suffix        "dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootdn        "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
rootpw        ubersupersecret

directory    /var/lib/ldap

index objectClass                       eq,pres
index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
index uid,memberUid                     eq,pres,sub
index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub

updatedn "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
updateref ldap://master.mydomain.com:389/

The master server has created the update file and the slurpd is
running.  However, the update log I specified is empty and there is a
sub folder /replica/ in the /var/lib/ldap/ which seems to contain all
the updates.  If anyone sees something I'm doing wrong, please help.
Also, can someone tell me how long it takes for slurpd to 'wakeup' and
look for changes?

Thank you in advance.