FC6: SCIM setup with Korean, how to change toggle key

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 03:08:29 UTC 2007

Rob wrote:
> Korean keyboards have a special key for switching
> the alphabet; it's the 'han/young' key next to the
> spacebar. Windows apps use this key for language
> switching.->

The latest scim update for fc6 (scim-1.4.4-37.fc6) should support using
the Hangul key by default for new Korean users.

> To make it easy for Windows users, I'd like to
> configure SCIM to also use that special key for
> switching, instead of its default 'alt-space'.

To do it global for all users you can change the following line in
/etc/scim/config from

/Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger = Control+space

/Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger = Hangul

otherwise users can configure the hotkey themselves in scim-setup on the
General Configuration panel.

Hope that helps,

Jens