How NSA access was built into Windows

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 16 08:05:57 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 01:56, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Tue January 16 2007 1:40 am, Tim wrote:
>> I was being more of a devil's advocate than anything else...  But
>> going along with what you mention, is more in keeping with what I had
>> in mind.
>>
>> SELinux is about restricting access, not providing more of it.  If you
>> remove it, you're granting access to more of your system.  The real
>> question is whether SELinux has a loophole that grants access without
>> you knowing about it (lunatic wild conspiracy theory).  Unless SELinux
>> provides yet another way into your system, removing it doesn't bring
>> about any tangible security benefits.
>>
>> It goes back to one of the original discussions, what *EXACTLY* does
>> it do (more than we know about?).  If it *only* adds restrictions,
>> there's nothing for anybody to worry about.  Except, perhaps, for some
>> program authors that think that they should be able to read any file
>> on the system without restrictions (e.g. your /etc/passwd files, and
>> so on, being served out through Apache).
>
>While, you make cogent points, I think that triggering the discussion
> has been useful, nevertheless. However, to simply dismiss the
> speculation about back doors as "lunatic wild conspiracy theory" is
> off-base. For example,  the U.S. government has been fighting tooth and
> nail against certain encryption protocols because they would be too
> difficult for them to crack. There's much that could be said about
> that, I realize, but the idea that they can propose to make certain
> kinds of secrecy a criminal enterprise is breathtaking... I realize
> that is not the same as a secret back door into everyone's computer,
> but it reveals a mentality that is not to be taken lightly...
>--
>Claude Jones
>Brunswick, MD, USA

3 cheers and a 21 gun salute to Mr. Claude Jones.  Claude has the proper
level of paranoia to survive, I think I'd like to have him against my
back in a scrap.

I can't say it any better than my .sig does without getting really, really
verbose.  The first 2 have been miserable failures over the last 50 years
because nobody gives shit about the big picture anymore, and the 3rd's
effects are really spotty.  If they were effective, a small percentage of
Linden Utah would be needing their sunshine piped in already.  We need
people like Wayne Green, who in a '73 editorial in 1976 related to our
200th anniversary, said that Ben, Thomas, John and George were a bunch of
rabble-rousers, but they managed to raise hell and stick a brick under
one corner, and that founded the will to bring this country into being as
a nation.  We don't have anybody in DC today worthy of cutting the grass
on their graves, let alone uphold the principles those men held.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)