OT: Transcode video for playback on PS3

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 16 20:36:51 UTC 2007

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Does anyone here have a PS3?  If you do, have you transcoded video files
> to a format that the PS3 will play back?
>
> I'm guessing ffmpeg is the best tool for the job.  My hang up so far is
> that I don't know what options to use.
>
> Eventually I want to install a Linux distro on the thing.  That should
> be fun.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated (for the transcoding).
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

I have Yellow Dog on my PS3, but haven't done much but benchmark testing
so far.  I am looking at pungi + kernel 2.6.20 release and rolling it up
with FC6 before I get too deep into Linux on it.

BTW:

Benchmarks for general purpose CPU based applications are outstanding.
Mine is a model 60, and the disk drive is slow, which skews compile time
tests a bit.  But overall it compares on benchmarks quite favorably with
a AMD64 X2 4200+ system.  With a faster disk drive, it will beat it handily.

The kernel sees two CPUs and 6 'cores' in Linux.  Using dual CPUs is
brainless, but I have no idea how to use the 'cores'.

The main drawback for the foreseeable future is video performance in
Linux on the PS3.  Only a generic frame buffer is available, and my 24"
Dell LCD monitor (1920x1200) looks 'fuzzy' at 1080i in Yellow Dog.

The new 'official' PS3 component cables are out, and I will get one to
see if it will do 1080p on my monitor.  I am currently using a PS2
component cable and my monitor goes blank at 1080p with that one.  1080i
looks ok in games.

Good luck, and have fun!