access files at a connected server

HI,

I want to access files at a server. I am using gnome on FC5. This server is connected via desktop connection: Places ->  Connect to Server -> FTP with login -> ... coonected.

After connected, Files on this server can be broswered, copy, paste, delete etc using File Manager. My question is how to access these  files alike the local files at commend line, eg cat /home/user/temp.txt

regards,

Yuandan