How NSA access was built into Windows

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 17 08:04:38 UTC 2007

To David and Rick,
	I posted links supporting my beliefs, that detailed the facts as far as
they are currently known about TIA and Venona.  I have seen little in
your posts about websites, books or information supporting your views.
I can't agree with the view that this forum is inappropriate for this
discussion, nor do I believe that any of us knows the answers.  But we
should all be thinking about the questions, and who might know the
answers.  TIA originated prior to the current administration, and Net
Neutrality is anything but neutral, just as Al Gore invented the
internet.  However, I do know some people who are pretty familiar with
these issues, and their opinions on some of these bits of spying would
boggle your mind.

	Why does NSA hare a 17 Terraflop computer?  Did you know it can be
further expanded?  What kind of disk storage do you think you might
utilize with a 17Terraflop computer?

	And there is more than one computer available to them.  Shared tasking,
multithreading, multiprocessing systems are simple to build today, and
when a desktop can reach 400+Megaflops, it is not too terribly difficult
to reach such esoteric processing speeds.  But what would they be used
for?  NOAA only needs 1.7Terraflops for weather simulations.  The
Nuclear Simulation is currently running on a 2.5Terraflop machine.  What
on earth could you do with 17 Terraflops? Or more?

	A search engine with a webcrawler doesn't make direct copies of the
information, but rather references the information.  Such references can
be coded in very compact ways, provided one has the desire to create the
code means.  True that all of us have some ideal of transfer speeds,
given the uses of Bittorrent transfers, and the setups of complex
schemes often don't go well, but the programming power and time devoted
to the task is enormous compared to the dedicated resources at typical
software companies.  After all, what is the risk of comming in second in
a war?

	Moreover, the US has become Information Wealthy, and that translates to
a Target of information, vs one of stone and mortar.  We do not yet
realize the extent and volume of dependency that our culture has on this
information.  Losing control of that edge is now the equivalent of not
having sufficient ships and admirals to conduct the Napoleonic wars.

	Do you know exactly what a Trojan Horse, a Worm, a Virus, a backdoor or
a rootkit actually does?  How do each gain access to your system?  Which
software techniques can defeat each one?  I am not as savvy as I once
was, but the topics of these issues and system security are always on my
mind.  Perhaps you sincerely believe that the only option is to "kick
down the door and get it".  If so, you are not yet fully conversant with
the extent to which system penetration can affect you.  Do you know how
files are erased?  Do you use a shredder program?  Are any of your
systems fully encrypted?  If so, what is the keystream length?  How can
you check it?

	Is the keystream monotonic?  Is it equally weighted or is it ascii
weighted?  Perhaps unicode weighted?
How random is the seeding process and how does it sync with the remote
system?  PS, encryption is a "realtime process."  It seldom has verymuch
overhead.  For example the 8 bit keystream in a cellphone requires only
9 operations per coded bit.  a 128 bit keystream properly coded would
only require about 32 operations per coded bit.
Since encryption and decryption are mirror operations, the same number
of operations in essence will do encoding and decoding.  With today's
processors this is about a microsecond of operation.

Regards,
Les H