RE: Umask question

Il giorno mer, 17/01/2007 alle 08.10 -0600, Styma, Robert E (Robert) ha
scritto:
>  > Hi
> >
> > if I issue the ommand umask I get a value of 0022. I thought umask
> > values were 022, what's the extra digit for?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan
> By convention, octal numbers have a leading zero.  This is a
> carry over from the C programming language.

The 4 digit for umask instead of 3 digit, is because of the octal
notation.

the first zero is to specify octal mode
the last 3 digit is to specify the mask (in octal digit from 0 to 7)

so the max number you can specify if 0777

Bye
 Ambrogio