How to verify the running kernel's architecture?

People,

How do I know if the kernel I'm running is the i586 or i686 version?
uname -m is not useful in this case, because it shows me the machine
architecture (which I know is i686), not the architecture for which the
running kernel was compiled. It always shows i686, even if the running kernel
is i586.

Thanks,

Marcelo