continuing the firefox plugin mystery

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 07:58:38 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 22:58 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> Ok, If you go to about:config in firefox 1.5.0.9 and make
>>> browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions
>>> false you can see the applications or plugins used by differnt types of
>>> files.
>>>
>>> However. here is the rub? if the plugin being used is Windows Media
>>> Player and the correct one is mozplugger how do you make that change.
>>> I can't see how it can be done. Anyone know the answer?
>>
>> Delete the offending files?  However, before you do that,
>> here are a few selections from my about:plugins

<snip>

>> If you want to maintain some functionality from
>> mplayerplug-in (say you only want mozplugger to handle
>> DivX mime types out of those above), then find the
>> files indicated in about:plugins corresponding to
>> the mime types you want to stop mplayerplug-in handling
>> and rename them to something that doesn't end in .so
>> (.so.bak being my preference).  This way firefox won't
>> find them and will not register the components, so
>> another plugin will get a chance to handle those
>> mime types.

<snip>

> Well this is a plan I guess. A drastic one but I will try it tomorrow.
> But that does not explain that all this works on my FC5 machine and
> mplayerplug-in is installed.
>
> This is what really bothers me. I have gotten all this to work in some
> way through probably 7 versions of Red Hat and Fedora Linux. And each
> time a different trick needs to be used. It is frustrating.

Currently I think plugins already installed will not get usurped;
if something is already handling a content type then a new plugin
to do the same won't get registered.  Not sure what happens when
you try to install a plugin with overlapping content types.
The whole system seems to justify a RFE to Mozilla.

--
imalone