Re: Installing VMware server

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Ric Moore wrote:

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 10:06 +0100, Ambrogio wrote:
Il giorno mar, 16/01/2007 alle 22.37 +0000, John Bowden ha scritto:
/tmp/vmware-config5/vmnet-only/procfs.c:33:26: error: linux/config.h: No
such file or directory

Try to create an empty file called config.h

touch /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/include/config.h

This should be all that you need

It blows my mind that I have to do that with each new kernel. What's up
with that? It would be great to get an explanation. Ric

config.h was depricated a while back. There used to be a symlink from autoconf.h to config.h in include/linux. (I have not used the empty file as described above. I link it to what it is supposed to be. I don't know if it makes a difference.) A few programs that build kernel modules still have problem with the missing config.h. NVIDIA fixed this a while ago. VMWare has not. (VMWare tools also has compile problems which have never been fixed. There are some third-party hacks to fix some of those issues.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark