Re: Installing VMware server

alan wrote:

touch /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/include/config.h

This should be all that you need

It blows my mind that I have to do that with each new kernel. What's up
with that? It would be great to get an explanation. Ric

config.h was depricated a while back. There used to be a symlink from autoconf.h to config.h in include/linux. (I have not used the empty file as described above. I link it to what it is supposed to be. I don't know if it makes a difference.) A few programs that build kernel modules still have problem with the missing config.h. NVIDIA fixed this a while ago. VMWare has not. (VMWare tools also has compile problems which have never been fixed. There are some third-party hacks to fix some of those issues.)
Apparently interfaces are the new version of "promises made to be broken".

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com